Thursday 8 March 2012

Panjim

I arrive at Casa Paradiso and my driver swiftly runs up to the main reception area (the taxi drivers here take commission on any people they bring into a hotel, this is added on to the customers bill), as I stumble up the stairs a minute later, predictably, the room price has went up by about 20%, after a short but heated debate the receptionist confirmed that my room was pre-booked at a single occupancy rate, the driver left a little dejected. 

Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception  
I was shown up to my room which compared to my latest bout of accommodation was like walking into the Taj Palace, the receptionist flicked on the A/C and it chugged into life at a setting of 22 degrees Celsius, as soon as she leaves I knock it down to 18 and bask in its cooling glory for the next hour (the only thing that actually drew me away was the prospect of my first hot shower for nearly two weeks, this bottle of hot vs. cold seems to be a constant one!). Once warmed up then consequently cooled off again I headed out into Panjim to see what the capital city of Goa had to offer.
Casa Paridiso was situated on the same road as one of the main tourist draws of the city, Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception church, an impressive looking white washed building set at the top of around 100 steps and overlooking one of the main thoroughfares of the city. The inside of the church was surpisingly gloomy, with very little natural light filtering through the windows and every space conceivable, including the roof, being adorned with various depictions of crucifixes and the various saints.

Portuguese house, Fountanhas
The other main draw of Panjim is the old Portugese quarters of Fountanhas and Sao Tome, wandering the little side streets you would be forgiven in thinking you were in the sleepy suburbs of Lisbon, with the sprawling bungalows and the caged finches hanging outside this was a very different feel from anywhere else I had been so far. Also many of the older locals spoke in Portuguese, the old men adorning the benches and the women tending to do their conversing over their balconies. Whilst on the church tour I tried to gain entry to St Sebastian church that displays a crucifix which, rarely, depicts Christ with his eyes open (this was supposedly due to instill fear into those being interrogated during the Portuguese Inquisition)  however I was informed that the church only opend its doors for the 6.45am Mass, I decided not to bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment