Sunday 4 March 2012

Journey to Panjim

I have a last breakfast at Ivon's restaurant, butterjamtoast, and settle my bill with Martin who points me in the vague direction of the bus stop (having had two buses drive past me in the last couple weeks I wasn't filled with confidence). I trudge the ten minutes down the mud path towards the main road and as I emerge at the crossroads the bus is sitting there. I start, to the best of my ability with a heavy rucksack, to run towards the bus, the conductor is kind enough to wait until I bumble my way on to the bus (although not kind enough to wait till I'm seated before telling the driver to go as I lurch towards the back of the bus). The bus is a typical example of those chugging around the state of Goa, adorned with numerous manifestations of Vishnu alongside the obligatory crucifix and of course painted in hand the three rules of the Goan busses; No Smoking, No Standing and No Spitting, of these only one is routinely followed. This bus seems to have a little something extra to it though, besides the fact the there is no suspension, which makes the frequent speed bumps an interesting sight as the back seat passengers are routinely launched a foot into the air (which included me), this bus also seemed to be installed with disco lights, although they weren't on it was easy to imagine a night time journey on this bus would be well worth the 10 rupee (~13p) fare for this 45minute veritable roller coaster ride.
I arrive into Mapsa safe and, with the exception of a bruised sternum, sound enough. My onward chariot to Panjim was waiting only a few feet away. The Panjim Express was bright green and had a Fantasia style micky mouse strewn across the side, I was unsure if this was some sort of good/bad omen. As I was first to board this magical mystery bus I had the choice of seats, I stayed clear of those outlined as; women only, old person only or physical/intellectual handicapped (although after the 30 minute delay I could probably have qualified for the later, in mindset and physical appearance, should have taken water with me!). The Panjim Express was probably the nosiest bus I've been on in my life and the driver seemed to have a penchant to only overtake on blind corners or as we were crawling up one of the many hills and was happy to just sit in the overtaking lane when we hit dual carriageway prompting constant horn use by the undertaking road users. Other than this the journey was reasonably uneventful, I sat and watched India...whizz? passed and soon enough we pulled into Panjim. I was quickly whisked into an auto rickshaw which seemed to be more of a chaise longue on wheels, I informed the driver of where I  wanted to go and we shot off, horizontally, into the Panjim motor mayhem en route to Casa Paradiso.

1 comment: