Monday 13 August 2012

To Ranthambore

I arrived at the station after a quick breakfast and found the platform the train was leaving from. Now the train stations have the capability to be very organised however this is very rarely the case, the train was already at the station and along the platform an electronic sign corresponds to each compartment telling you where to board. To my surprise my ticket pointed me in the direction of the first class a/c compartment, surley a mistake. Reluctant to board I waited as the train quickly started to fill up, suddenly, 10 minutes before its departure time, the train started to move. Panic stricken I started to gather my bags and enquired, fruitlessly, to anyone in earshot as to what to do. Much to my relief, and very quickly my dismay, the train stopped and I found myself infront of me a very chotic looking second class sitting compartment. I pushed myself onboard and was met by a solid wall of passengers. I began jostling and shoving my way through the near impenatrable crowd and finally found my seat, which unsuprisingly was occupied. I flashed my reservation slip under the reluctant passengers nose and after a game of musical chairs I was given a seat, not mine but I was just happy at not having to stand for the next 3 hours to Ranthambore.

The inspectors on the train are unlike their bus counterparts, whilst they tend to do an initial sweep from the originating station they are never to be seen again, in second sitting anway, this allows for these carriges to become quickly swamped by commuters, the carrige now housing well over 200 passengers. The next few hours did not pass quickly, everytime a seat was vacated it started an argument as to who was now to occupy it, after a couple of minutes of stand off and sometimes people just sitting on top of each other usually the original occupier would return and oust the successful candidate.

Finally we pulled into Ranthambore, I got up to get my rucksac down from the overhead rail I then turned back to get my bag and found that my seat had already been taken. After wrestling my bag from underneath the new occupant, reluctant to stand up in fear someone else should take his newly acquired throne, I pushed my way off the train and onto the platform. As I was walking up the stairs I noticed a plaque with my name on it being held by a well dressed man, I made myself known and I was quickly unburdoned of my bags and shown to a very nice a/c jeep, a distinct contrast from my last mode of transport. We sped off from the station and after around 15 minutes turned to face a small unasuming hotel front. I was greeted warmly at reception and adorned instantly with a flower garland, I was spared the usual rigmarole of filling in the visitor paper work and shown instantly to my room. Walking down a long corridor we emerged into a large complex with neat little gardens and a nice big swimming pool, it was like a little bit of paradise compared to some of my recent hovels. The room was big with a massive bed and a huge bathroom, with a bath tub even, and most importantly tea and coffes making facilities, what...you gotta appreciate the little things!!

As it was full board I headed in for some lunch where I was quickly befriended by the very attentive waiting staff, one of which had the sole job of distributing nann and roti bread (which he did with great efficiancy, running the length of the restraunt to the tandoor oven outside, I think he may break health and safety protocol but he did it with a smile). After lunch I spent the rest of the afternoon lounging by the pool, retreating to the bliss of my ice box of a room when it got too hot. I headed back out to the restraunt to eat and met in with a great couple from New Zealand and we spent the night chatting about our various experiences in India so far. They retreated around 11 as they were booked on the morning tiger safari leaving at 6am, as it was my birthday the next day I had gifted mysf a lye in and opted for the afternoon safari. I sank into my bed with a complimentary cup of hot chocolate, engrossed myself in some trashy film and decided that my birthday splurge was, so far, worth every rupee.

No comments:

Post a Comment